WHAT IS THE POLISHING SERVICE?
The Polishing Service allows your piece of Cartier jewelry to rediscover its original shine and brilliance, without altering its shape. Nevertheless, given that the removal of a fine layer of metal is involved, Cartier recommends you do not have this service carried out more than three times in the lifetime of a piece of jewelry made of white or yellow gold. Moreover, polishing cannot remove any scratches that are too deep. Please also note that it is technically impossible to polish white gold so as to give it a black finish.
Performed by a Cartier specialist polisher, the service includes the following operations:
- the piece of jewelry is diagnosed;
- piece of jewelry is polished, using brushes saturated with three different abrasive pastes, until a dazzling surface is obtained;
- the piece of jewelry is cleaned, particularly its less accessible parts, by immersion in an ultrasonic tank filled with lukewarm soapy water. All jewelry creations may be subjected to ultrasound treatment, except for those containing emeralds, pearls and certain other gems that are considered too delicate.
- rhodium finishing: to reinforce the whiteness and brilliance of white gold, it is sometimes covered with a fine layer of rhodium, a rare precious metal of the platinum family.
This operation consists of the following stages:
- before polishing, the remaining layer of rhodium is removed so as to obtain a naked surface to which the new layer can be applied;
- after polishing, the immersion of the jewel in a rhodium bath to deposit a new fine layer of metal on the surface of the white gold.
- a technical and aesthetic inspection is carried out in accordance with Cartier quality criteria.