653 FIFTH AVENUE
The Cartier boutique of New York is at the very heart of the city. Its premises are situated in a very residential neighbourhood, in a private mansion belonging to Mr Morton Plant and built between 1903 and 1905: it was one of the first private residences to be built in that part of the city.
In 1917, Pierre Cartier bought out Mr Plant’s mansion for 100 dollars and a pearl necklace worth a million dollars, as a gift to Mrs Plant from her husband.
In 1970, the Landmarks Preservation Commission filed a proposal that the building become known as a New York City Landmark.
In June 2003, the City of New York renamed the intersection of Fifth Avenue and 52nd Street « Place de Cartier », thus opening a new chapter in the long love story linking Cartier to New York.