Writing instruments care
The day-to-day care of your Cartier writing instrument
In order to preserve your Cartier writing instrument for as long as possible, we recommend the following guidelines on a daily basis.
- Ensure that you close the cap of your ballpoint pens and fountain pens so as to prevent the ink from drying.
- Ensure your fountain pen is used regularly. If your pen is only used occasionally and the ink has dried out, flush the nib with lukewarm water.
- Do not expose your Cartier writing instrument to a source of heat.
- When travelling on aeroplanes, we recommend that you load your fountain pen with a new ink cartridge or a full converter, and that you carry the pen with the nib facing upward so as to avoid any ink leakages.tery, please contact a Cartier After-Sales Service at any Cartier boutique or at an authorised dealer.
The maintenance of your Cartier writing instrument
Your Cartier writing instrument may be cleaned using a soft cloth to restore its shine. Do not apply any other product to the cloth.
Avoid any contact with aggressive substances such as alcohol, glue, acetone, nail polish, etc. For all silver-plated parts, it is recommended that you use a special cloth designed for silverware, since silver is a precious metal that can develop oxidation marks. This natural phenomenon may be accentuated by contact with leather or rubber.
Pink gold may change colour naturally over time. If you wish to regain its original colouring, it is recommended that you clean your pink gold-plated pen using a cloth specially designed for polishing gold surfaces.
Cleaning your fountain pen
To ensure the optimal functioning of your fountain pen, it is recommended that you clean it approximately once every three months, particularly in the following cases:
- if the ink has dried out after a period of not being used,
- if the colour of the ink needs to be changed,
- if the ink-flow is irregular.
To clean the nib block:
- remove the cartridge from the pen;
- clean the pen in clear water and dry it carefully.
- For fountain pens equipped with a converter, insert the converter full of cold water and flush the water through the ink-feed.
Continue until the water is clear. Clean the external parts of the fountain pen using a soft, dry cloth. Do not use any other product.