CARTIER 1899 - 1949, THE JOURNEY OF A STYLE (2007)
Lisbon, Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation
Lisbon’s Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, renowned for its important jewelry collection that features pieces by René Lalique and some major pieces by Cartier, sought to tell the story of Cartier from the opening of the boutique at Rue de la Paix in 1899 to 1949, and thus demonstrate its creative continuity during the 1930s and 1940s. Maria Fernanda Passos Leite and Nuno Vassalo e Silva at the Foundation oversaw the design of a modern, highly referenced exhibition.
The exhibition catalog, published by Skira under the museum’s direction, remains a reference work for the Cartier Collection, presenting for the first time an analysis of the Maison’s design from the perspective of continuity of style.